With years of experience in software development, file formats, and library technology, I can provide necessary skill and expertise where it's needed. I've created code for websites ranging from Harvard University Library services to small organizations. I've written on file formats and digital preservation issues and worked with streaming protocols, metadata schemas, and image delivery. If you'd like to talk business, contact me at developer [at] mcgath.com.
Open source projects
- JHOVE, application and toolkit for identifying and validating files and extracting descriptive data. Developed the bulk of the code for Harvard University and continue to maintain it.
- Song ID, a PHP and MySQL web application for "nichesourcing" song identification by members of a community.
- OTS-Schemas, a Java library for reading and writing common library XML schemas, used in conjunction with FITS. Contributed the modules for MODS, MIX image data and AES-57 audio data.
- File Format Registry Browser, an experimental project for querying multiple file format registries (PRONOM, UDFR, and DBPedia's format entries) through their SPARQL endpoints.
- File Information Tool Set, an application aggregating the output of multiple file format identification and validation tools. Did enhancements, including updating of tools and improving video metadata, under a SPRUCE Grant from the Open Planets Foundation.
- A proof-of-concept iOS application in Objective-C.
- LinkedIn profile.
- File Formats Blog.
- Filk Book Index. An index of songbooks by and for science fiction fans, implemented in MODS and presented with XSLT.
- Articles on Eduhacker.
- JHOVE Tips for Developers
- Files that Last
- Compute!’s Guide to Adventure Games, 1984, updated 1987, now available for download from Scribd.
- "The Format Registry Problem," Code4lib Journal, 2013-01-15.
- Clerk, past president, and webmaster of MASSFILC, a 501(c)(3) music club.
- Chair of ConCertino 1999, 2009, and 2015.
- Webmaster of unofficial site for Ledgewood Hills Condominiums.
- Named to Filk Hall of Fame, 2004.
- Can read and speak German.