Not just buzzwords. Abilities.
I'm looking for clients who want someone to address a programming need in a creative, responsible way. If you need some development work done that fits my abilities and that you want to have confidence in, contact me at developer [at] mcgath.com.
In addition, I'm an experienced writer and am available for technical or other writing work.
My recent work has included development of web applications for the Harvard University Library (including delivery of high-resolution images and streaming audio), a client-tracking web application for internal use by child welfare agencies, and a web application to create social media presentations.
I'm developing a "nichesourcing" web application for Love Song Productions, allowing qualified users to identify song recordings and enter metadata on them into a database. The code is available on GitHub as open source.
I maintain the websites for MASSFILC, a 501(c)(3) music club, and NEFilk, a consortium of music conventions. In addition, I'm the chair of ConCertino 2015, a music convention to be held in Massachusetts in 2015.
Open source projects
- JHOVE, application and toolkit for identifying and validating files and extracting descriptive data. Developed the bulk of the code for Harvard University and continue to maintain it.
- Song ID, a PHP and MySQL web application for "nichesourcing" song identification by members of a community.
- OTS-Schemas, a Java library for reading and writing common library XML schemas, used in conjunction with FITS. Contributed the modules for MODS, MIX image data and AES-57 audio data.
- File Format Registry Browser, an experimental project for querying multiple file format registries (PRONOM, UDFR, and DBPedia's format entries) through their SPARQL endpoints.
- File Information Tool Set, an application aggregating the output of multiple file format identification and validation tools. Did enhancements, including updating of tools and improving video metadata, under a SPRUCE Grant from the Open Planets Foundation.
- A proof-of-concept iOS application in Objective-C.
- LinkedIn profile.
- File Formats Blog.
- Filk Book Index. An index of songbooks by and for science fiction fans, implemented in MODS and presented with XSLT.
- Articles on Eduhacker.
Websites I have created or manage for others
- MASSFILC, a Massachusetts musical club.
- NEFilk, an annual regional music convention covering the northeastern US.
- The Ledgewood Hills Observer, an unofficial website for a large condomunium association. No longer active.
- JHOVE Tips for Developers, 2013.
- Files that Last: Digital Preservation for Everygeek, 2013.
- Compute!’s Guide to Adventure Games, 1984, updated 1987, now available for download from Scribd.
- "The Format Registry Problem," Code4lib Journal, January 15, 2013.
- "The Dawn of the Surveillance State," The Freeman, September 17, 2014.
- Tomorrow's Songs Today: The History of Filk Music, 2015.
- Clerk, past president, and webmaster of MASSFILC, a 501(c)(3) music club.
- Chair of ConCertino 1999, 2009, and 2015.
- Named to Filk Hall of Fame, 2004.
- I accompany silent movies on the keyboard.
- Can read and speak German.